Home » , » Injured Nadal vows only to return when fully fit

Injured Nadal vows only to return when fully fit

Written By Sizzling LEO on 10/01/2012 | 2:06 am


Rafael Nadal said in an interview published Tuesday that he has not picked up a racket since Wimbledon limping for almost three months and return to competition once he is fully fit.



"I'm in no condition to go to the court at the time. I have not touched a racket, but I'm working hard every day," he was quoted as saying in an interview with four European newspapers, including French sports daily L 'Equipe.


Nadal has been on the bench after his shock second round exit at Wimbledon to unheralded Czech player Lukas Rosol in late June and has been receiving treatment for a torn tendon in his left knee.


The 26-year-old, whose injury has led him to miss the London Olympics, the Masters Series events in Toronto and Cincinnati and the U.S. Open, said he has been swimming every day for keep fit and is also working in the gym.


On September 5, Spanish Tennis Federation doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro discarded surgery, raising hopes that it might make a change last Davis Cup in Spain against the Czech Republic in November.


But Nadal seemed to pour cold water on a quick return when asked when he would be seen later on the court, told reporters: "I do not know.


"The situation is very clear in my mind. First I have to take care of myself completely and return to full fitness before deciding when and where to play again.'ll Just come back when I'm 100 percent.


"I never want to pitch again with permanent doubts about my fitness."


Nadal, the former world number one, has had repeated injury layoffs in recent years due to knee problems, which have much of the tension in his very physical style of play.


The player said he was approaching his recovery in stride but admitted there were "difficult times", including missing the Olympics and the honor of carrying the flag of Spain in the opening ceremony.


"I was very, very low for a couple of weeks. Losing a Grand Slam is tough, but it occurs every four years. I hope with all my heart to be in the Games in Rio (2016). That's one of my goals, "he added.
Share this article :